WHAT: Ozark Herbal Symposium hosted by Black River Technical College & Mill Creek Gardens
WHEN: Thursday, January 28, 2010 – 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
WHERE: Black River Technical College, RCDC Building (1410 Hwy. 304) in Pocahontas, AR
Schedule of Events
- 8:30-9:00 Registration and refreshments
- 9:00-10:15 Creative Herbal Home-Using Herbs 101 by Tina Marie Wilcox—head gardener and Master Herbalist at the Heritage Herb Garden, Ozark Folk Center State Park in Mountain View, AR. She recently co-authored The Creative Herbal Home with Susan Belsinger.
- 10:30-11:30 Herbs in the Landscape with Janet Carson—consumer horticulture specialist and statewide coordinator of the Arkansas Master Gardener program from the University of Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service.
- 11:30-1:00 Lunch Break & Mill Creek Gardens’ tour
- 1:00-2:00 Connecting to Your Local Herbs: Edible & Medicinal Plants in the Winter by Sasha Daucus—herbalist who finds it easier to find plants in the wild than to grow them herself. She has been using wild plants from the Ozarks for healing, food, and crafts for more than two decades. She is a clinical herbalist and teacher at Golden Light Center in Doniphan and West Plains, Missouri.
- 2:15-3:45 Hearty Winter Herbs-Harbingers of Spring with Susan Belsinger—culinary herbalist, who teaches and writes internationally. She authored/co-authored/edited 20 books and writes for food, herb and garden magazines from the Herb Companion and Natural Home to Gourmet. For a look at what she does or more info-she blogs weekly for www.vegetablegardener.com and her web site is www.susanbelsinger.com.
- 3:45-4:00 Panel: Questions & Answers, Herbal Hors d’oeuvres, Book signing & Herb Sale
Dr. Gary L. Buxton
(870)248-4000, Ext. 4154