The Ozark Society will convene for the Fall General Membership Meeting on October 2-3 at Lake Catherine State Park. The registration cost is $5.00 for individuals and $10.00 for families. Please remember to bring your own dinnerware, cups and drinks for the Saturday breakfast and potluck. Plan to come and renew old friendships, make new ones, and help the Society continue its mission.
Saturday, October 2
- 8–10 a.m.: Registration and Breakfast. In addition, at this time, the Society will participate in the Park’s “Trash Bash”, which is part of Keep Arkansas Beautiful’s clean up day. We will pick up trash around the picnic area and pavilion during the registration time. Come register early to help!
- 10 a.m.–12 p.m.: General Meeting, Bob Cross presiding. The Society will hold its general business meeting, and elect officers and state directors for the 2011-2012 term.
- 12 p.m.–1 p.m.: Lunch break.
- 1-2 p.m.: Learn how to take action on conservation issues, facilitated by Acadia Roher at the Pavilion.
- 2-3:30 p.m.: Walk and learn about the CCC style of stone work.
- 3:30–5:55 p.m.: Break to prepare for the pot luck supper
- 6 p.m.: Pot Luck Supper. Plan to participate in the always-competitive Dutch oven cook off and dance the night away with music by the Petersons.
Sunday, October 3:
The Society has a float planned for Lake Catherine and a hike at the state park. The details will be announced on Saturday during the meeting.
To get to the park from Hot Springs, take highway 270 east and turn right on Carpenter Dam Road. Turn left on to highway 290 then left on to Highway 171. Follow highway 171 into the park. From I-30, take exit 97, go north 12 miles on Highway 171, which ends at the park. The street address is 1200 Catherine Park Road, Hot Springs, AR 71913.
For campsite and cabin reservations call 1-800-264-2422 or 1-501-844-4176. For more information visit the web site at: www.arkansasstateparks.com/lakecatherine.
DAY HIKE AT GARVAN WOODLANDS GARDEN – STEVE HEYE, LEADER – (501) 455-2210
Sunday moring, Oct. 3rd, meet at the Lake Catherine meeting site at 9 a.m. to go by caravan over to Garvan Woodland Gardens. Participants will gather at the garden at 9:30 a.m. for a tour, lead by a garden docent. There will be several fall flowers in bloom, and some early fall color may also be present. Even some late summer bloomers could be around. Bring walking shoes. Most trails are paved and be prepared to walk up to 4 miles. Cost is $7 to cover entrance fees and the docent.
If you know now that you would like to go, contact Steve Heye at (501) 455-2210 or at firstname.lastname@example.org so that he can get an early head count. This is a real gem if you’ve never seen the garden.
The walk takes place rain or shine. Visit the garden’s website for more information.