Do you have friends and family members who have everything? If so, contribute to nonprofit organizations on their behalf. Some of my favorite organizations include:
Eddy and I love KUAR, our local NPR affiliate. KUAR is our source for news. If NPR is your source for news, do your part and make a pledge. A contribution of $120 or more comes with a Sound Value Card. This card entitles the bearer to discounts at local businesses and organizations. With such benefits, a pledge to a NPR affiliate makes a perfect gift for news lovers on your holiday shopping list!
If you have book lovers on your shopping list, why not give them membership to Friends of the Central Arkansas Library System (FOCAL)? Besides supporting the largest public library system in Arkansas, FOCAL membership comes with:
- Advance notice of used book sales.
- Members-only preview parties and receptions.
- Early entrance to used book sales, before the book sale opens to the public.
- A 25% discount at River Market Books & Gifts, a “gently read” bookstore run by CALS in the Cox Creative Center on the Main Library campus in downtown Little Rock.
- A 10% discount at Bookends Café adjacent to River Market Books & Gifts.
Isn’t that awesome? To find out more, visit http://www.cals.lib.ar.us/focal/membership.html.
Environmental organizations such as…
All of them work very hard to protect Arkansas’s natural beauty. All of them offer membership benefits such as monthly bird walks (Audubon Society), native plant walks (Native Plant Society), hikes (The Ozark Society), and paddling clinic (Canoe Club). For nature lovers on your shopping list, membership to these organizations would make a fabulous gift!
So, those are some of my ideas on how to give experience instead of “stuff” this holiday season. The Green Giving series will continue tomorrow with ideas on how to give food instead of “stuff.” Stay tuned!