- 1 large bunch kale (1 ¼ to 1 ½ lbs)
- 12 oz. udon, buckwheat noodle, or fettuccine
- 2 tbs. sesame oil or to taste
- 2 tbs. soy sauce or to taste
- 2 tbs. white or black sesame seeds
- While bringing a large pot of water to a boil, hold bunch of kale together, slice off and discard thickest part of stem, about 1 inch.
- Still holding kale in a bunch, slice remaining stem and leaves as thin as you can.
- Set aside kale in colander and rinse.
- When water has come to a boil, add pasta and cook for 5 minutes less than cooking time indicated on package.
- Add kale stems and leaves in a few batches, pressing down with back of spoon.
- Continue cooking, uncovered, over high heat until kale and pasta are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain pasta and kale and return to pot.
- Add sesame oil and soy sauce and toss.
- Add sesame seeds and toss again.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Makes 4 servings.
I make this dish when I’m short on time because it cooks in about 15 minutes. Serve with sesame green beans and spinach, egg & tofu soup.