The Green Giving series continues today with more ideas on how to give food instead of “stuff” this holiday season.
I give same things to folks every year for holidays. This year is no different. My holiday gifts consist of:
- Homemade strawberry jam made with Arkansas strawberries
- Homemade blackberry jam made with Arkansas blackberries
- Homemade peach butter made with Arkansas peaches
- Homemade apple butter made with Arkansas Black apples
- Local honey or sorghum
- War Eagle Mill cornmeal (upon request from family members)
- Homemade candied pecans made with Arkansas pecans
Nothing says “I love you” like homemade goodies. In return, Eddy’s family always gives us fresh shrimp from South Carolina where they live. We enjoy the shrimp throughout the year, throwing them into gumbo, pasta, omlets, and on top of pizzas.
Not much of a cook? Don’t worry. Several Arkansas farmers offer jams, jellies, honey, and sorghum for sale, including:
- Petit Jean Farm (Morrilton)
- Drewry Farm & Orchards (Russellville)
- Kornegay Berry Farm (Pine Bluff)
- Turtle Rock Farms (Petit Jean)
This concludes the Green Giving series. The world is full of “stuff.” We can all do our part to keep “stuff” out of landfill, support local economy, and see our loved ones happy. Let’s give green this holiday season!